If Krusty the Clown had a podcast ...
Have you ever seen The Simpsons? If so, you'll know the old clown named Krusty who thinks everybody is ripping off his act.
"That guy stole my bit!!"
This happens a lot in podcasting.
And it's true that many "new" podcasters are having big (and quick) success with podcasting, while a lot of the older guys who have been around for years aren't doing as well.
But it's not just podcasters who have this issue ... the same is true for authors. And musicians.
I know a backup singer who has worked with everybody from Elvis Presley to Bob Dylan. I asked her, "How often are you better at singing than the people you're backing up?"
"Most of the time," she replied. "But my job isn't to be better in those cases, it's to help make the main act sound good."
That's a good way to look at it – better than Krusty.
In this issue of Big Podcast Insider, I've got some ways for you to strengthen your relationship with listeners, make the most of any "social media" promotions, and create interview-format episodes that matter.
International Podcast Day
Today is International Podcast Day, a celebration of the power of podcasts!
Here are some ideas on how to participate:
- Use #InternationalPodcastDay to engage with others worldwide talking about the event
- Grab your mic and camera, ask someone about their favorite podcast. Share the response on social media.
- Promote International Podcast Day by posting the official banner image on your website.
- Play the International Podcast Day audio or video promo on your show
- Change your social media image to the International Podcast Day logo
- Explain to someone what a podcast is
- Share your favorite podcast with someone (coworker, friend, teammate)
- Send thanks to your favorite podcasters
- Provide a rating and review in Apple Podcasts or other platforms
- Subscribe to a new show and talk about it using #InternationalPodcastDay
These things are easy and, even if you do all of them, you'll only need a few minutes. When podcasts do well, we all do well, so I hope you'll consider this.
A secret to audience growth ...
Feeling overwhelmed by the amount of social media videos and other content you feel like you need to create? You'll love this old school advice on growing an audience.
A question for you ...
Would you rather have 10,000 people watch every YouTube video you create or 50 people show up every time you do an in-person presentation?
Personally, I'll pick the 50 "live" people every time. There's a higher level of trust and commitment from people when you physically get in front of them, answer questions, and have a one-on-one conversation than there is from being in an online video.
Trust and commitment – this is what you want and it's what your audience wants as well.
If you're committed to building trust and commitment online, have more one-on-one conversations via social media. If you're having problems keeping up with all the messages you're getting, consider using a "unified inbox" called Juphy. This is how I handle all my Twitter and Instagram messages.
Podcast Hosting Skills
Meetings vs. Podcast Interviews
We are all familiar with bad remote meetings, where we don’t know what the meeting is about, no one comes prepared, and only a few get the chance to speak.
Same as podcast interviews.
And after 2+ years of working from home, we know a lot about how to make remote meetings better ...
The same strategy that will make meetings better will also make remote podcast interviews better.
Try these five steps to improve your next remote interview:
- Prepare (and follow) an agenda
- Come prepared
- Nail your surroundings (be in a quiet place, etc)
- Ensure you’re having a two-way conversation
- Conclude by summarizing the key takeaways
Tools That Solve Your Podcasting Problems
I'm not exaggerating when I say this site is worth bookmarking.
It's a single place that can handle dozens of things you will find helpful for producing and publishing your podcast (and related marketing tasks) including:
- Remove the Background From an Image
- Edit PDF
- Image Compressor
- Profile Photo Maker
- Convert HEIC to JPG
- Blur Background
- Generate QR code
- Instagram Video Downloader
- Online Meme Generator
- Extract Audio from Video
And it's free!
The Wrap Up
Like this newsletter? Subscribe to the podcast!
If you like the newsletter, you'll love the podcast. It's called Build a Big Podcast and it will help you do three things:
- Grow your podcast audience.
- Get people talking about your podcast.
- Make more money with your podcast.
You can subscribe for free.
On a desktop? Scan the QR code above to make it easy on yourself!